We have an exciting opening for an Optical Engineer at our office in Laguna Hills, CA. The new appointee will support the scientific staff in implementation, investigation and analysis of laboratory-based experiments and various engineering problems. The successful candidate is expected to work under moderate supervision while using technical skills and judgment to solve problems encountered during the course of the experimental/analytical investigation. The appointee is expected to prioritize time to stay on schedule, be proactive in documenting the results and findings, and in communicating them to the scientific staff. He/she is expected to work as a part of a team and may also lead efforts with other engineers and technicians.
- Design, analysis and construction of optical systems for measurements, right from inception to prototyping
- Develop timelines and resources to implement solutions for the project execution
- Layout of breadboard for experimental work and instrument development
- Document findings/results and analyses for reporting
- Interface with other technical stuff to jointly investigate and solve engineering problems
- Prepare technical presentations for internal use, conferences and customers
- MS/Ph.D. in optical sciences/engineering or equivalent, with 2 or more years of work experience after the PhD degree or 4 or more years of experience after the MS degree.
- Thorough understanding of optics, lens design, optical systems design
- Working knowledge of Schlieren, interferometry, holography for instrument development is a major plus
- Experience with lasers and optical detectors
- Experience with Zemax or a similar optical design software
- Experience in image processing and software coding using C/C++/Python/MATLAB
- Experience with LabVIEW and SOLIDWORKS programming
- Knowledge of machine learning and data science would be a plus
- Highly-motivated and a self-starter with ability to quickly absorb new concepts and subsequent application within prescribed timelines and resources
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to work in a team towards a larger company objective
MetroLaser, Inc. offers a highly competitive compensation and fringe benefit package for employees that includes retirement plans with matching contributions, health, dental and vision benefits, generous paid vacation and sick leave, and a highly intellectual, work environment.
MetroLaser strives to create an inclusive and equitable working environment. Applicants from women, minorities and under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to seek career opportunities at MetroLaser.
MetroLaser is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents as required for Department of Defense contracts. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.